Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I like to move it, move it...

At Abigail's 4 month appointment we told Dr. Cheek about something we'd noticed about Abby's neck: she seems to turn mostly to the left and cannot hold up the right side very well. Being the avid webmd researcher that I am, I already knew it was probably torticollis.

Torticollis, or wry neck, is a condition in which the head is tilted toward one side (cervical Lateral flexion), and the chin is elevated and turned toward the opposite side (cervical extension).






(Why does wikipedia have a picture of a guinea pig with torticollis, you ask? Not sure...are guinea pigs prone to torticollis? Must google...)




Dr. Cheek agreed with my baby-diagnosis and decided to go ahead and set Abby up for a physical therapy assessment at Children's Rehabilitation just to get the ball rolling. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE this doctor??

This Monday Abby, Crinkle-Puppy, and I got up, got dressed, and headed over to Piedmont-Fayette hospital for her assessment. The physical therapist led us into the rehabilitaion gym and worked with Abby on the floor mat. She was really great with Abby and agreed that she has right torticollis - but with some daily neck strengthening exercises, she should be fine.

They gave me a packet of daily exercises we must do 3 times a day. It's great because it gives me specific ways to play with her to help her neck. We also learned new ways to hold her in order to stretch out those neck muscles. Abby goes back to therapy weekly for a while - until she starts holding her head up better.

There are three reasons I'm digging this physical therapy:

1) It's going to help Abby with her neck muscles

2) They are also keeping an eye on her developmental milestones to make sure she's hitting all of them on time. Right now, although they consider her to be only 2 months adjusted age, the therapist said that she's doing things 3 and 4 monthers can do :) But we always knew she's a genius!

3) It allows us to get out of the house once a week and have some interaction with other humans. It also allows mommy to make a weekly Starbuck's run ;)

Videos and pictures of Abby's exercise routine to come!!

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Lucas had that too (i think) Is it pretty common? That picture makes me feel so bad for the guinea pig! Is Abby's that noticeable?

Mrs. S said...

I think it's pretty common - especially in difficult births and preemies. Abby's is pretty noticable, but it's not that she CAN'T turn her head - it's just stiff so she doesn't like to.
I thought the guinea pig was rather sad looking :(

Anonymous said...

yes I always said PT rocks! and the I can confirm what the PT said - with therapy she will be fine - it is a very treatable condition and I am glad you are enjoying it :)
your not so local physical therapist, Kristin :)

allycat said...

yup that's what lucas has. he was going weekly or biweekly to our chiropractor friend that massaged it to loosen his muscles. then we started going to a physical therapist that gave us the stretches to do. paul takes care of all that stuff because neck stuff freaks me out, but anyhow it is already doing a lot better and we're nearly done doing the therapy thing.