Tuesday, January 19, 2010

An "off" day

So today wasn't the best day for Abby. She was extremely vocal ALL morning, to the point where it sounded like she was yelling at Crinkle-puppy. When she wasn't yelling, she was giving this low moaning growl. I took her temperature, but she doesn't have a fever. I thought she might be teething, but she didn't seem to be chewing on her hands/toys much at all today. The only thing I can think of is her acid reflux is bothering her (we have been without her meds for 2 weeks now - Matt basically had to strong-arm the insurance company into finally mailing it to us. Apparently it is one of those they find cheaper to mail, but both the pediatrician nurse and the pharmacist dropped the ball in getting it ordered...so it made for a very acidic baby. I had the most horrible reflux during my pregnancy, so I really feel for the kid. Especially since she can't sit up on her own yet! Imagine reflux when all you can do is lie flat!!) and she is still worn out from the cabin this past weekend.

But then it got worse. The only time we could schedule physical therapy today was for 2pm - right smack in the middle of her nap time. I tried to get her to sleep on the way to the appointment, and she was fine until the therapist picked her up. Then she let out a blood-curdling scream like you've never heard before. You would think the child had just lost a limb! The therapist worked with her, screaming and all, while intermitently handing her back to me to calm down. I had no idea separation anxiety could start this early! The session was an hour long today, so basically Abigail wailed for an hour straight.

In the end I learned a few things
1. The at-home exercises are working! Abby went from being able to turn her head 35% to the right to 65%!
2. Any future PT sessions need to be done in the morning.
3. One of my favorite times of the week is directly after the session while I'm driving home, baby snoring in the backseat, frappucino in my hand, and music playing on the radio. It's the simple things, these days.

Of course, as soon as we arrived home I found the box of meds waiting at my doorstep and my sweet, happy baby has returned once more. I guess everyone is entitled to an "off" day, even when they're so stinking cute 99% of the time.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I never realized how common acid reflux is in babies until friends started having babies and i started paying attention. Poor Abby! But yay for her improvement!! And #3 sounds AWESOME. I'm jealous now...i want a frappucino.