Monday, March 30, 2009

"Just perfect"

Your fetus currently enjoys a 1:1 ratio between body and head, and has skin so transparent that blood vessels show right through. But, fingers and toes are no longer webbed, and hair follicles, tooth buds and nail beds are forming -- setting up a significantly more attractive future.




So I had an unexpected ultrasound today! A little bit of red spotting Sunday night convinced me that I needed to call the doctor just to check it out. All morning while teaching I was a nervous wreck! When I arrived at the office, they took me right back to have an ultrasound. I was so nervous! Matt couldn't be there due to work, and I was scared that I would be given bad news with no one there beside me.





Luckily, as soon as the tech started, I could easily make out Gummybear and his/her little heartbeat pounding away! 161 bpm!! Talk about an adrenaline rush! I felt my own heart speed up at the sound :)





This time, Gummybear has some facial features and LONG arms! In one of the pictures, it looks like he/she is waving at us! The ultrasound tech called Gummybear "just perfect". I could have laid back there and watched that screen for hours.





After my ultrasound, the midwife examined me and determined that I'm not bleeding anymore and she could find no reason for the bleeding in the first place. The final diagnosis was irritation and I was given the Rhogam shot (shot for RH- bloodtype moms) just in case.





They also took some blood. The blood-gatherer (what are they called?) had a hard time finding a vein, so after 5 different tries and lots of wiggling around under my skin (OUCH!!), she finally tried a baby needle and got some blood. I think my arms will be black and blue for weeks!





Here's my favorite picture of Gummybear - measuring EXACTLY 10 weeks, 4 days:






No comments: