Friday, April 10, 2009

Updates!

As you move into the second trimester, baby shifts into the growth and maturation stage. After weeks in the critical development stage, almost all of baby's systems are fully formed.



Today we had our regular 12 week appointment with the midwife. Basically she answered all of our questions and found the baby's heartbeat with the doppler. It was so easy for her to find! (as opposed to how long it takes me!) The heartbeat was loud and strong and 171 bpm.



We also found out that I have actually LOST 3 lbs throughout the first trimester due to severe morning sickness. Honestly, I just thought I had the regular amount of sickness, but apparently I didn't have to suffer nearly as much as I have! The midwife perscribed me phenergin, which will help me be able to eat again. I really liked this midwife MUCH better than the previous one we've seen. Brenda was so helpful and excited for us - she even gave us some tips on getting the heartbeat on our home doppler.



I made my 16 week appointment for the day of the AP Exam (May 8th). I am taking the diabetes test a little early on that date, so I will send my students off to their test around noon, then make my way to MY bloodwork test. Somehow, I think theirs will be less painful :(



After the appointment, Matt and I drove through downtown Fayetteville and ended up getting lunch at O'Charley's. Afterwards we went back to the same buidling to see Atlanta Maternal Fetal Medicine - an office that deals with high risk pregnancies - for our NT scan.



The NT scan is basically an ultrasound and blood test that is supposed to give you an overall percentage chance for the baby having certain abnormalities - in particular, down syndrome and trisomy 18. Although we would NEVER terminate, my insurance pays for the ultrasound, so we decided to go ahead and get it.



Apparently Gummybear had other plans! He/she stayed napping for pretty much the entire ultrasound - waking only in the end to hiccup a few times and move his arms around! He was in such a bad position that the doctor couldn't get ANY measurements (although she assured us the baby is fine - just sleepy) and I scheduled a repeat appointment for next Friday. Hopefully Gummybear will feel like being a little more cooperative then!

Another thing we learned today - I have a tipped or "backwards" uterus. Most people's uteruses (uteri?) face the front, but mine faces the back (toward my spine). The doctor assures me that this is not a problem and later in pregnancy it will move to the regular position. I hope so - I would hate to have a baby bump growing from my rear end....



1 comment:

Lauren said...

ROFLMAO at that last sentence.