Sunday, September 6, 2009

Gummybear update: Day 12

Current Weight: 2lbs 14.3 oz
Weight Gain: -.7oz (but gained 3oz since last weigh-in!!)
Current length: 15.75 inches (up .75in!)
Current feeding: Still through the nose tube. They have upped her feedings from 4ml when she was born to 32ml every 4 hours! She is currently dining on breastmilk with milk fortifier to give her more calories. She appears to tolerate the breastmilk very well, so hopefully my supply can keep up!

Abigail is doing well and is GROWING! Dr. Villez calls her his "skinny little friend" but promises that she will start getting chunky soon. Every day I hold her while in the NICU - it is called kangaroo care. Basically I put her on my chest for skin to skin contact for hours. She has been attempting to nurse, but gets very tired quickly. Hopefully as she gains more weight she will continue to want to nurse. Mostly we just sit together and snuggle for hours.

She has had 2 ultrasounds on her kidneys and Dr. Villez is concerned that she has renal reflux. Basically, the tubes that connect the kidneys to the bladder are inflamed and are retaining water. He put her on an antibiotic to stave off a bladder infection and he is going to send us to Scottish Rite to have a special test done once she comes home.

This weekend Abigail graduated to the Intermediate side of the NICU! I'm so excited, although this means that she does not have her individual room anymore. The nurses are also talking about trying her on bottle feedings later this week. Every day is another day closer to bringing our angel home!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations. Abigail is so beautiful. Thank you so much for the updates. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

My love and prayers are with you.
Aunt Margaret

Unknown said...

That is good news! I am excited to meet her sometime soon! :) Hope you are doing well also! Thanks for the update, we like hearing about Abigail!

Kristin said...

SO glad she is doing so well! You guys are awesome parents and I am excited to hear that she's progressing and growing and is staying healthy.

We've been praying for you daily and any other time I think of you!